THE 2 CATEGORIES
Among the traditional recipes, the most popular ones are very similar: the recipe of the Ristorante le Beccherie in Treviso (Veneto – Venice area) and the one of the Albergo Roma in Tolmezzo (Friuli Venezia Giulia).
The list of ingredients is the same, and it inspired the two categories.
It represents the tradition and it includes the 6 basic ingredients, that must be used: ladyfingers, mascarpone cheese, eggs (yolk or also white, at your choice), coffee, cocoa powder, sugar.
It does not admit any variation.
It represents the innovation and gives free rein to fantasy. It includes 4 basic ingredients that must be used: mascarpone cheese, eggs (yolk or also white, at your choice), coffee and cocoa powder.
It allows you to replace the ladyfingers with another type of biscuit or with sponge cake, and to add to your dessert at most 3 ingredients of your choosing.
To join the Tiramisù World Cup you must:
- be 18 years old, or older
- not be a gastronomy professional
The term “gastronomy professional” includes anyone who has worked, in the last two years and at least for 6 months (even if not continuously), in a restaurant kitchen or in a pastry laboratory on any basis. Auxiliaries (shop assistants, servers, waiters) are not to be considered as professionals.
The basic ingredients are Matilde Vicenzi’s Vicenzovo ladyfingers, Hausbrandt’s coffee, Lattebusche’s mascarpone cheese, eggs (egg yolk and white), cocoa powder and sugar.
- We will provide them to you at the beginning of the competition: you don’t need to worry!
- Their dose is a secret: you will find it out only on the day of your competition
- They can’t be replaced with ingredients/products by another brand or origin
Both the two traditional recipes which inspired the rules of the competition do not contain alcohol: that’s why you don’t have to use it to win the Tiramisù World Cup!
The additional ingredients are biscuits or sponge cake if the Competitor wants to replace the ladyfingers, and the 3 ingredients that can be used to prepare Tiramisù with the Creative Recipe.
- The Competitor has to bring them to the competition
- They must be edible, not expired and their package has to be intact
- If they are dry ingredients, the Competitor will bring them autonomously to his/her desk.
- If they are handcrafted dry ingredients (not industrially produced) made by shops such as bakeries, their package needs to be intact and it must include the production date, the expiration date and the list of ingredients
- If they are fresh ingredients, the Competitor will have to buy them on the day of the competition and bring them to the Ingredients Drop-Off Desk at the location of the competition, at most 30 minutes after the time indicated on the receipt. Fresh fruit, as it is very perishable, is considered a fresh ingredient. The ingredients must be placed in a single cooler bag and the staff will check the receipt and mark the bag with the number assigned to the Competitor before putting them into the refrigerator. They will be brought to the Competitor’s desk at the beginning of the competition, along with the basic ingredients
Remember that you could be part of 3 different stages of the competition: the selection, the semifinal and the final.
Make sure you bring enough additional ingredients every time you compete!
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
The Tiramisù World Cup is an elimination competition: the best Competitor goes one stage further.
The competition includes 3 stages.
The Competitors who are regularly registered
During the Selections, the Competitors will be divided into different groups made by at most 10 people who are competing in the same category (Original or Creative Recipe): every group will have its own dedicated Jury.
The Competitor who gains the highest score wins.
The Competitors who won the Selections
The Semifinals will be a sensational challenge, involving 3 groups for the Original Recipe and 3 groups for the Creative Recipe. As for the Selections, every group will have its own dedicated Jury.
The Competitor who gains the highest score wins.
The 6 Competitors who won the Semifinals
The Final will be a unique competition!
The 3 best Creative Recipes will contest the title of World Champion of Creative Tiramisù, while the 3 best Original Recipes will contest the title of World Champion of Tiramisù, in front of a unique and really special Jury.
The winner will be the Competitor who gain the highest score in his/her category.
In the event of a tie, the winner will be the Competitor who gets the highest score in the evaluation criteria called EQUILIBRIUM.
- Arrive at your location at least 45 minutes before the beginning of your competition. First of all, bring your voucher to the Welcome Desk to check-in, to receive your Competitor’s Kit and to have information about your desk. If you have fresh ingredients to consign, go to the Ingredients Drop-Off Desk upon arrival.
- In fact, if you compete in the Creative Recipe category and you have fresh ingredients, remember to buy them on the day of your competition and to bring them to the Ingredients Drop-Off Desk of your location, within 30 minutes from the time indicated on the receipt.
- Bring all your kitchen tools (everything you use to prepare your Tiramisù, except for the plate on which you will assemble it). Remember that your desk has a limited space: this is why you will not be allowed to bring and use kitchen robots, burners or cooking plates to cook/heat. On the other hand, you can use smaller tools, such as electric beaters, and the optional additional dry ingredients.
- At the beginning of the competition, the speaker will invite the Competitors to reach their desks: wait until that moment and then make your entrance.
- Prepare your competition desk by showing all your tools and, if you compete in the Creative Recipe, also the additional ingredients, which will join the basic ingredients and the fresh ingredients that we will bring to you.
- The staff will check the package and the expiration date of the ingredients on the desk, and the cleanliness of your tools. Be careful: if the ingredients are expired or non-edible, or if their package is not intact, they will be immediately withdrawn and, in the worst cases, the Competitor could be disqualified.
- Wait until the speaker announces the beginning of the competition: from that moment, you will have 40 minutes to prepare your dessert, clean your desk and show your plate.
- You can choose the final dimension of your dessert: the important thing is that it must fit in the plate that we will give you (and the surprise is that you will be given the Tiramisù World Cup 2018 official plate, that you will keep)!
- At this point, the Juries will start the voting procedure: the Judges will reach the desks, taste the Tiramisù and give their ratings.
- Finally, the speaker will announce the Winner of each table.
This year you have the opportunity to choose the table you like the most during the registration process.
The day of your competition the staff at the Welcome Desk will give you information about how to get to your table and your desk.
- A desk – or a portion of a shared table – which measures about 1mx1m, covered by a tablecloth
- A 220v socket
- The basic ingredients: Matilde Vicenzi’s Vicenzovo ladyfingers, Hausbrandt’s coffee, Lattebusche’s mascarpone cheese, pasteurised liquid eggs (yolk and white), cocoa powder, sugar (you will find out their dose on the day of your competition!)
- A microwave you can use with the other Competitors
- The eventual additional fresh ingredients that you previously brought to the Ingredients Drop-Off Desk (as you will bring your dry ingredients to your desk)
- The Tiramisù World Cup official plate (that you can keep!) that you will use to assemble your best Tiramisù
Your own kitchen tools: everything you use to prepare your Tiramisù, except for the plate on which you will assemble it. The tools must be washed in a dishwasher (at least 24 hours before the event): remember that all the tools will be checked by our staff before the beginning of the competition.
(for the Competitors of the Creative Recipe)
Your dry ingredients, as you need to bring the fresh ones at the Ingredients Drop-Off Desk of the location where you’re going to compete in when you arrive, and then we will bring them to your desk.
These 5 criteria will determine which is the best Tiramisù in the world.
Every criteria will get a 1 to 10 score.
A vote for the organisation of the table, the cleanliness, the managing of the ingredients, your executive ability
It evaluates the look, the arrangement of the plate, the decorations and the aesthetic final pleasantness
Presentation is important!
It evaluates the intensity and the permanence in the mouth of the tasting
It evaluates the balance among the ingredients
FLAVOUR AND HARMONY
It evaluates the pleasantness, the intensity and the harmony of the flavours (the right amount of ingredients)